Tuesday, June 26, 2007

long-lost stranger

I've been seeing this guy around for about 15 years, at first around Commercial Drive and then around Strathcona. I think he would have coffee at what used to be the Roma cafe. I don't think I paid too much attention to him other than noting that he was vaguely attractive. But one day, years ago, he appeared in an erotic dream of mine. After this moment, I felt as if I was in a relationship with him and I think I started looking at him differently, maybe shyly, as if we had shared something illicit. I imagined that in response, he looked at me differently too.

Maybe about 5 years ago,after not having seen him for years, while I was teaching Billy taiji in Maclean Park, I saw him walk by. I was struck by a shock of recognition. Like seeing an old lover. Even Billy noticed it. Yet this guy was a complete stranger.

Today, coming out of SOMA, I found myself at the bus stop with him. I finally introduced myself to him, as if to an old friend.

No comments: