Sunday, September 23, 2007

the fucking long-tassel #2

Yang Shifu, his arteries threatening to explode with every brief walk, his wife Shimu dying of cancer in the bedroom, is alert to the approach of death. In response, he has decided to make me the keeper of the long-tassel sword form, insisting on working on the details with me - "Make proficient". All this would be well and good except that he keeps forgetting stuff. We end up yelling at each other. Well, I yell at him (I am so disrespectful..) and he laughs at my irreverance.

Still, he manages to give me notes that solve three-year old mysteries even as he sheepishly admits, after looking at his notes, that I am right after all about a sequence of moves.

Thus, I fall into the embrace of study, into the embrace of this relationship with an old man. But I too am alert to the inevitability of loss.

No comments: