Monday, September 10, 2007

lari leong/traces of one's dancing #2

Yesterday, working on the film about Lari, felt like we were trying to reconstitute the man by articulating all the different bits and pieces he had left within us. I realised, after watching the 12 minutes of archival stuff Marc showed us, that I had forgotten how fluid Lari was. How stunningly beautiful. Christophe mentioned the word non-effort. Later, listening to Marc tell us the story of how Lari got to Paris via London via Hong Kong - a young Asian man in the late sixties, arriving in dance via movies, via fashion - I was struck by how little I knew of Lari. I never knew these things about him. All I knew was what I wanted in him - that fluidity, that effortlessness in the ability to glide through the elements, passing from one matter to another.

And I was amazed at how much we can be marked by someone we have never really known. Someone who, through an accident of timing and history, never managed, despite a certain brilliance, to emerge out of the relative obscurity of having been exoticised.

I feel I must now reconsider my insistence that in order to have an effect on the world, one must find ways to be free of the objectification that comes with being exotic...

No comments: