Saturday, March 22, 2008

My adventures at Les Antipodes #1 - my solo and Jacques Blanc

It is not often, in one's career, that two days before the world premiere of your solo, the one you have been working on for 2 years, that during a run, you look into the small invited audience and see Jacques Blanc, the big daddy of the festival, with his head in his hands, eyes averted. After the run, he tells you that the baroque music you are using is insupportable. That there is too much text and that if you don't do something about it, ils vont te tuer, ils being the hordes of press and professionals who would be descending upon the festival in the next few days.

Despite the shock of such a thing (because two days earlier, in a private performance in the tower of the manoir, I had made Benoît and Moravia cry!!), I decided that he was nevertheless speaking out of love. It also occurred to me, and still does, that perhaps he was also saying to me, shut up and dance.

I got rid of some of the baroque music and danced like a motherfucker; but I did not shut up. In the end, they did not kill me. I think, actually, that they rather liked me.

No comments: