Friday, May 30, 2008

the gaze of the king

Anis talked beautifully (with his whole body) about the outrage of the Cambodian monkey dancer dancing under the gaze of the king; how this outrage is tranformed by the dancer into the force and energy of shakti and then into a gift of rasa - feeling, emotion - for the audience.

It occurs to me that this is the female orgasm - shakti corresponding as it does to principles of feminine energy. Ziyian once told me that my work was like a female orgasm in its rhythms and structure. It is an offering. And if the offering is not received, I, the dancer, the lover, am left with the outrage. Hurtling through my body, smashing up against soft vulnerable tissue and psyche.


How does one make an offering such as this if the king is looking for something else and thus, does not see, does not receive?

No comments: