Tuesday, May 27, 2008

So You Think You Don't Folk Dance - violence

Sébastien asked me, after I had ordered a martini shaken violently, if I liked things violent. I said, without thinking, that no, not really, being a dancer was violent enough. As I said it, I thought, whoa, that's interesting, what the hell did I mean by that?

Well, this weekend's So You Think You Don't Folk Dance conversation provided lots of answers to that question. Here are some of the words that ocurred over and over again:

folk dance is murder
contemporary dance is dead
rupture
violence
outrage
stealing
lying
subversion
post-genocide monkeys
honorific thief
bifurtication of the body

No wonder I am in my fifth day of a headache.

2 comments:

Joyce Rosario said...

If folk dance is murder and contemporary dance is dead, than what the heck am I doing? More importantly, am I accessory to murder? Yikes -- I'm missing some details there, so I'm looking forward to listening to the podcast or reading the transcription. Until then, I'll just keep pondering.

sufeh said...

What the heck am I doing? is a very good question to ask ourselves everyday about anything we do in general. I like thinking of contemporary dance as dead, because god knows, there's a lot of art out there that is dead. But I like thinking that because it makes me pay attention to what I am doing.