Saturday, June 14, 2008

brownies

The first time I ever ate brownies was in Malaysia, when I was a teenager. I had accompanied one of my parents (weird that I don't remember which) to a picnic or party where all the men were white american Pinkertons and all their wives were Thai and their children were chapchungs/half-breeds/seranis/eurasians who went to International Schools. The brownies were made by the Thai women.

It is a funny thing, that when I am out with Junhong, sometimes strangers will ask me with no irony at all, "Is your son half-asian?". (Why yes, that would be MY half). These strangers are often Asian.

Junhong has complained more than once that people always ask if he is half-asian and never if he is half-Canadian.

These are the best brownies and apparently, they come from Katharine Hepburn; so they are also glamourous brownies.

1. Melt together 1 stick of butter and 2 squares of unsweetened chocolate, then take the saucepan off the heat.
2. Stir in 1 cup sugar, add 2 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat mixture well
3. Stir in 1/4 cup all-purpose flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
4. Bake brownies in a buttered and floured 8-inch square pan at 325ºF for about 40 mimnutes.

Now I put these recipes on my blog because I know there are some of you out there who just are dying to cook like I do. But really it is so I have access to my recipes while I travel without actually weighing down all the baggage I carry even more with cookbooks. But as proof that nothing is universal, 1 stick of butter or 2 squares of chocolate makes no fucking sense in Europe.

When I am not drunk on half a bottle of valpolicella I will translate the north american measurements into metric and call the brownies moelleux au chocolat.

No comments: