Monday, June 16, 2008

Narcissus auf Bali

Ten years ago I commissioned a piece of music from Michael Maguire for my experiment in extreme formalism Gecko Eats Fly. The dance work won a prix at Bagnolet which did absolutely nothing for my career.

The music drove everyone crazy.

Junhong was gestating in my womb and heard it everyday all day for his first trimester. He is now completely phobic about insects of even the most benign variety. (The research for Gecko Eat Fly involved David and I spending a week in Taman Negara running away from leeches and mosquitoes)

While he was composing it, Mike would call us and scream that the music was driving him out of his mind and that he was on the verge of jumping out the window so help.

The last 15 minutes of the music as well as the dance was always problematic.

"Fix it!" I would say to Mike.
"I can't!" he would say.

Well, now, 10 years later, he has fixed it.
I was going to post his program notes on this blog.
But they are incomprehensible.
The music still drives me crazy and I haven't been able to get to the end of it yet.
But I like things that drive me crazy.

1 comment:

bruitiste said...

Please post them anyway :)
Mike is supposed to be recording this piece for a 2009 CD release, this very month.