Friday, June 12, 2009

transmission #2

Mika is Junhong's tap teacher. She is a small Japanese woman with a big voice. She inspires and terrorises the boys to dance like there's no tomorrow. She gives them choreography that wins them medals and makes them feel like the coolest boys in the lower mainland.

Yesterday was the rehearsal for the school's year-end show: an epic organisational wonder that involves more than a hundred kids and some adults, all run by Mika aided by a few assistants and a whistle.

While the boys were being made to run their piece to perfection on stage, amidst the noise and clamour of waiting parents and kids, Mika paused to turn around to the parents and noisy children and said:

THE THEATRE IS LIKE CHURCH FOR DANCERS. DO YOU KNOW HOW HARD IT IS TO DANCE WHEN NOBODY IS WATCHING? IT IS LIKE A HEARTBREAK. PLEASE RESPECT THE DANCERS AND PAY ATTENTION

I felt my own heart break and fell in love with her even more.

2 comments:

livingstone said...

as ever, dear su-feh,
im TOUCHED by your courage to write what you live in body and words...and i look forward to our meetings as friends and artists in the future, wherever however. i marvel and grumble at the things you post, thank you for sharing your "perishables."..
my love to you from paris where i work on my new project "Culture and Administration" to show in Avignon in a few weeks, todays rehearsal begins by me repairing my collaborators kitchen. First things first!! I have learned a thing or two from you...

sufeh said...

Culture and Administration! I am horribly jealous that I did not think of making such a piece myself. I hope to have the privilege of seeing it one day. Thank you, dear Tonja, for the generosity of reading and seeing me.I send you love from the beautiful west coast. This week, on my way to teaching class at Mascall Dance, I ride the bus that goes by English Bay, and everytime, I marvel at the beauty of it and that I actually live here.