Thursday, April 15, 2010

awesome, great and scary

A few months ago, when I asked Natalie Lefebvre-Gnam about why she danced, she confessed that when she was younger, she just wanted to be "awesome", thereby reminding me that sometimes it was just that simple.

Last night, while eating dinner with Lisa Milloy at a French restaurant in Berlin (Bandol on Torstraße, for those of you who care about these things), I was reminded that awesome wasn't always so simple.

When the owner/manager came to clear the plates, and asked if everything had been fine, I said, It was AWESOME. And, Wie sagt man AWESOME auf Deutsch?

He said something in German and I think he was saying that there are many meanings and perhaps there wasn't the exact same word in German (So precise, Germans). He came back later and said, as if to share his discovery and maybe to ask for clarification, "Awesome means great and also means scary".

How delightful!
How wondrous!

Because recently, Marion and Janet, after watching The Whole Beast on video, had said it was "scary". Which means it is awesome.
And because in Natalie's confession, one can find in the youthful desire to kick ass, the desire also to be scary.

And because I am reminded that great food and great dance, like great sex, reminds us that life is great and scary.

5 comments:

Adriana Bucz said...

You really are awesome, Su-Feh. When I met you, I think I was terrified of you (by you?). And I still have moments, usually when I watch you dance, or when you're looking at me over candlelight, that I have a little shudder of fear. But it's fear because of how awe-some you are.

Antares said...

Totally awesome, Su-Feh is. Even your kid is awesome! Blast of rivery love xoxox

wsxwhx709 said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

guat said...

German for "awesome" - Did the waiter say "ungeheuer"?

Ungeheuer has 2 meanings, depending on context: 1) bordering on the wonderful, and 2) fear-inducing.

sufeh said...

Ungeheuer! Nice...