Sunday, September 23, 2012

envy and longing

I have been thinking about envy - one of the seven deadly sins and a constant fixture in any artist's career. Envy is not an interesting feeling to encounter in an artistic process, however, either in the rehearsal or in the performance.

I look up the meaning of envy on my computer's dictionary and it says:

a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else's possessions, qualities, or luck .

Aha! Longing! Envy is a longing. And we know from a few posts ago, that longing is connected to being static. Thus, envy is static. It leads to a self-regarding loop that collapses in on itself. Nothing beautiful can come out of it.

2 comments:

Sen said...

Very true. Envy is also connected to not seeing your own qualities, so while being static it is also quite blind :)

sufeh said...

Interesting. I saw a work on the weekend that touched an artist's envy of others. At the end I felt he had never really revealed himself and as a result, I felt distance from the work. I suppose if you cannot see yourself, you cannot reveal yourself.